Mosteiro do Crato
Pestana Pousada Mosteiro do Crato
The Pousada Mosteiro do Crato is located in the village of Flôr da Rosa, county of Crato, in the middle of Alto Alentejo.
It was built in the Mosteiro de Santa Maria de Flôr da Rosa and is comprised of three distinct buildings: the Gothic-style church-fort, the Gothic castellated palace with alterations from the 1500's and the rest of the monastery grounds, in Moorish and Renaissance styles.
This Monastery is one of the most emblematic works of the region and one of the most original Gothic buildings in Portugal. During your stay in this luxury hotel, enjoy the outdoor swimming pool with a sunny terrace perfect for sun bathing, relax at the spa and Jacuzzi or enjoy a meal at the restaurant.
The rooms are bright with modern decor, welcoming colours and dark wooden furniture, each equipped with a TV, mini-bar and free Wi-Fi.
At the beginning of the 12th century, the Order of Hospitallers was introduced into Portugal, which is now known as the Order of Malta. It was created to assist pilgrims making pilgrimages through the Holy Land and later became a military order. One century later, the Portuguese headquarters of the Order was made at Vila do Crato and would thus become the seat of the Priory.
Frair Álvaro gave the building the name Mosteiro de Flor da Rosa. The Palace area and the monastery-fort were adapted into what is now the Pousada.